Sugar Cookie Christmas Wreaths with Candy Colour Mints
It’s a cookie covered with…candy! Stir up some super-simple mints in holiday-bright colours to turn sugar cookies into a gift-worthy treat.
- Sugar cookies covered in white royal icing
- 4 oz. Cream cheese
- 1 lb. Powdered sugar
- ⅛ tsp. Peppermint extract
- Variety of bright gel food colours
- Parchment paper
- Pastry bag
- Small (but not tiny) star and round decorating tips
- Nonpareils (avoid the silver ones, called dragees—they’re covered with a small amount of inedible silver and are recommended for decoration only)
- Sugar sprinkles
- Bernard’s royal icing
- Mix the cream cheese with the powdered sugar and peppermint extract.
- Divide into equal portions and mix each with a few drops of gel food colour.
- Pipe onto parchment using the star and round tips. Try different shapes: stars, kisses, leaves with holly berries, candy canes—the more variety, the better. Sprinkle on sugar as desired.
- Allow mints to air-dry overnight.
- Squeeze dabs of royal icing from a pastry bag to attach mints and nonpareils to the cookies. (If you’d like, you can arrange them first on a dry, iced cookie then attach them one by one.)