Everyone manages it differently, but the outward symptoms are similar. There are a number of different kinds of anxiety and depression, but generally speaking, these disorders can result in prolonged nervousness, worry, sadness, hopelessness and, in severe cases, self-harming thoughts and actions, including suicide.
“I was so sad and so tired. For reasons I could not define, I was completely overwhelmed.” —Gina R.
Here’s what it could look like to family and friends. They might:
- Lose interest in activities, hobbies and work they usually enjoy.
- Sound hopeless or overwhelmed about things as personal as accomplishing tasks or universal as the state of the world.
- Avoid or arrive late to everyday stuff like work or special events and gatherings.
- Withdraw from their social circles and regular communication with family and friends.
- Increase alcohol or drug use.
We talked to folks who experience anxiety and depression and asked them what they need from their friends. Here’s what they told us.