The perfect monthly baby photo has room for a few simple elements:
- The background
- The month
- The baby
- Optional: Space to add fun facts, such as likes and dislikes, new tricks, and favorite stuff
So! Where do you start? Some things to think about for monthly baby photos :
- Do you want to show scale, so you can see how much Baby grows from month to month? If so, at least one major element needs to stay in the picture every month: It can be a blanket or rug, chair or pillow, toy or prop.
- Is there a story to tell? Use a prop with special meaning. For example: One mom we know took pictures with a combat helmet to send to her Army husband overseas.
- Are you crafty? Maybe you want to letter the month on a chalkboard, or stitch the number into a stuffed pillow (like Hallmark Art Director Cece Merkle did), or paint on an oversized block. Or get simple onesies and paint the month or number on each one—which is also a great project for an older sibling!
- Are you REALLY crafty? You can draw, paint, design, or construct backdrops that change every month.
- Do you want to add monthly baby stats? If so, keep the background super-simple so you can add text over the photo.
- Where will you display the photo? If you’re going to Instagram these memories, stay square—but if they’re going in a more traditional photo frame, adjust accordingly.